Join the Windward Orchid Society
Whether a beginner or an expert orchid grower, you will find membership in the Windward Orchid Society a truly rewarding experience. You’ll join other members who like you would like to learn more about this fascinating hobby and meet other people with similar interests. Members will qualify for all of the club’s benefits, and have the opportunity to participate in all of the club activities.
What are the Benefits of Joining the WOS?
Learn How to Grow Orchids
If you want to learn how to grow orchids, there's no better way to learn than by joining a orchid society! The Windward Orchid Society general membership meetings feature programs by experts on a variety of orchids or orchid related topics and a table full of beautiful orchids in bloom, plus a wealth of knowledge from all our members.
Meet Other Orchid Growers – Backyard and Commercial
At each meeting you will have the opportunity to rub elbows with your fellow orchid enthusiast, ask questions, swap ideas and learn from each other. Many members are beginners while some are long-time backyard or commercial orchid growers who have lectured or written about orchids. They are more than willing to share the knowledge that they have learned throughout the years!
Monthly General Membership Meetings
• The monthly general membership meetings are held on the first Wednesday of each month (except for June and December) at the King Intermediate School’s Cafeteria. The meetings start at 7:30 pm but if you have a sick plant or just want more information on orchid culture, our resident Orchid Doctor, Scot Mitamura, has an orchid clinic which starts at 7:00 pm.
• Each month we have guest speakers who are leading authorities on orchids. You’ll learn about collecting, growing, repotting, pest control and general orchid culture.
• All members receive a free plant at the end of the meeting.
• All members are encouraged to bring their blooming plants to the meeting for “Show and Tell”. The plants are judged by fellow members and all winning plants receive a free plant as a prize.
• You’re able to purchase plants at unbelievable prices at our Annual Auction Nite or from members selling plants at each of the meetings.
• Delicious refreshments are available at each meeting.
Monthly Orchid Workshops
Each month, members are invited to the Orchid Workshop where there is a guest speaker on orchid culture and you’ll be able to interact with fellow members. There is even a potluck lunch after each workshop.
Participate in Orchid Events
The WOS has activities that are available to all members to participate in. They are:
• Orchid Safaris to local commercial growers – both on Oahu and trips to the neighbor islands,
• Setting up WOS displays and compete for prizes, at other orchid society shows,
• Attending the Annual Installation and Recognition and Christmas banquets where we have a raffle for orchid plants.
Each member will receive the monthly newsletter that provides you with information on the upcoming program and activities and usually some information on the care and culture of orchids.
WOS Annual Orchid Show and Plant Sales
The WOS Annual Orchid Show and Plant Sales is currently the largest show in Hawaii and it is held each year in March. As a member of the Society, you will be able to participate by volunteering in one of the various committees, sell tickets or plants, and setting up the show display. Plus you’ll be able to showcase your blooming orchid plants and compete for awards in the grand WOS show display.
Most importantly of all, we offer the ability to network and to make new friends while having fun learning and sharing in our love of orchids!
How Much Does it Cost to Join WOS?
Membership is based on a yearly basis, which is July to June. For those members who sign up at our Annual Orchid Show and Plant Sales in March, your membership will be from March to June of the following year – an extra three months for the same price!
• Regular Membership (July to June) - $20.00
• Regular and Associate (Spouse) Membership (July to June) - $30.00
• Associate (Spouse) Membership (July to June) - $10.00
• Lifetime Membership - $200.00
How Do I Join WOS?
You can join the Windward Orchid Society by downloading the membership application form (click on the link below) and mail it with your payment to:
Windward Orchid Society
P.O. Box 23
Kaneohe, HI 96744
Or by filling out the form and bringing it and your payment to our monthly general membership meetings which are held on the first Wednesday of every month (except for June and December) at:
King Intermediate School’s Cafeteria
46-155 Kamehameha Highway
Kaneohe, HI 96744
Click here for the Membership Application Form